EACVI appropriateness criteria for the use of transthoracic echocardiography in adults: a report of literature and current practice review
Research output: Contribution to journal › Article › peer-review
Colleges, School and Institutes
- King's College Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, Denmark Hill, London, SE5 9RS UK.
- Echocardiography Laboratory, Hospital da Luz Av. Lus?a, n° 100 - 1500-650, Lisbon, Portugal.
- Department of Cardiology, Bieganski Hospital Medical University of Lodz, Kniaziewicza 1/5, 91-347, Lodz, Poland.
- Department of Cardiology, Baskent University School of Medicine, Fevzi okmak Cad. 10. Sok. Bahcelievler 06490 Ankara, Turkey.
- Imperial College London, NHLI Hammersmith Hospital, Du Cane Road, London W12 0NN, UK and University of Athens, Greece.
- University of Medicine and Pharmacy "Carol Davila"-Euroecolab, Institute of Cardiovascular Diseases, Sos. Fundeni 258, sector 2, 022328, Bucharest, Romania.
- 1st Department of Cardiology, General Hospital of Nikea, 3 P. Mela str., 184 54, Athens, Greece.
- Department of Cardiology, CHVZ (Centrum voor Hart en Vaatziekten)Universitair Ziekenhuis, VUB, Laarbeeklaan 101, 1090 Jette, Brussel, Belgium.
- Department of Cardiology, Oslo University Hospital, postboks 4950 Nydalen, 0424 Oslo and Faculty of Medicine, Norwegian University of Science and Technology, NTNU, 7491 Trondheim.
- Department of Cardiology, Oslo University Hospital, Rikshospitalet, Sognsvannsveien 20, NO-0027 Oslo , Norway.
- Department of Medical Sciences, Clinical Physiology, Uppsala University, Akademiska ingang 40, 751 85 Uppsala, Sweden.
- Department of Cardiovascular Sciences, Catholic University of the Sacred Heart, Policlinico Agostino Gemelli, Largo A Gemelli 8, 00168 Roma, Italy.
- Cardiology Section, Onassis Cardiac Surgery Center, Sygrou, 17674, Athens, Greece.
- Departments of Cardiology, University of Lie`ge Hospital, GIGA Cardiovascular Sciences, Heart Valve Clinic, CHU Sart Tilman, Lie`ge, Belgium and Gruppo Villa Maria Care and Research, Anthea, Hospital, Bari, Italy.
The European Association for Cardiovascular Imaging (EACVI) has outlined the rationale for setting appropriate use criteria (AUC) in cardiovascular (CV) imaging. Transthoracic echocardiography (TTE) is the most common imaging modality in CV disease and is a central tool in diagnosis, follow-up, management planning and intervention. The purpose of AUC is to inform referrers, both to avoid under-use, which may result in incomplete or incorrect diagnosis and treatment, and also over-use, which may delay correct diagnosis, lead to 'treatment cascade', and wastes resources. The first step in defining AUC for TTE in the adult has been for a panel of experts in echocardiography to review the evidence, guidelines, recommendations, and position papers from the European Society of Cardiology, EACVI and other specialist societies, and current state-of-the-art clinical practice. The attached document summarizes this work, which will be used to under-pin the development of AUC.
|Journal||European Heart Journal Cardiovascular Imaging|
|Early online date||25 Feb 2017|
|Publication status||E-pub ahead of print - 25 Feb 2017|
- Journal Article