Aubrey Leatham and the introduction of cardiac pacing to the UK

Research output: Contribution to journalReview article

Authors

Abstract

In the early 1950s, Dr Aubrey Leatham established a cardiac unit at St. George's Hospital, Hyde Park Corner, London. He developed and taught the essential clinical skill of cardiac auscultation. Under his guidance a clinical department for the care of cardiac patients was developed and coupled to physiological academic research. He was a pioneer in cardiac pacing and, in 1961, Harold Siddons, O'Neal Humphries, and Aubrey Leatham implanted the first 'indwelling' pacemaker in the UK in a 65-year-old man with repeated Stokes-Adams attacks due to complete heart block. The nickel-cadmium 'accumulator', which powered the pacemaker, had to be recharged once a week.

Details

Original languageEnglish
Pages (from-to)1356-1359
Number of pages4
JournalEuropace
Volume12
Issue number10
Publication statusPublished - 1 Oct 2010

Keywords

  • History, St George's