Colleges, School and Institutes
- 1971 - Researcher, Institut für Deutsche Sprache (IDS), Mannheim
- 1975 - Head of Department of Research Facilities (IDS)
- 1993 - Head of Department of Language Change (IDS)
- 1997 - Senior Research Fellow, Head of Multilingual Research (IDS)
- 2000 - Chair of Corpus Linguistics, University of Birmingham
- 2014 - Retirement
My current research probes discourse as an contingent autopoietic, self-organising, self-referential, evolving system exhibiting intentionality and constructing its own reality including those who participate in discourse. By actively taking part in discourse, we can change this reality according to our needs and interests.