Colleges, School and Institutes
Sophie is a Senior Fellow in the Health Services Management Centre. Previously, she was a Senior Lecturer in Education and Inclusion at the University of Worcester. Alongside this she was a regional tutor for the MEd in Social, Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties with the School of Education at the University of Birmingham.
Sophie has worked extensively in the third sector. She has taught sex and relationships in schools across the West Midlands and was the National Impact Coordinator for a leading sexual health charity for children and young people. In her work with a local council she researched, implemented and evaluated an Independent Travel Training programme for children and young people with SEN, this programme is still currently in operation and is deemed as best practice in this sector. Within her career Sophie has worked with many diverse groups across education and health settings. Sophie developed an accredited programme for teenage parents across the West Midlands which ran for six years in conjunction with working as an antenatal teacher specialising in teaching diverse and low-socio economic groups.
- PhD (Health Services Management Centre, University of Birmingham)
- M.Ed in Social, Emotional and Behavioural Difficulties (School of Education, University of Birmingham)
- Post Graduate Certificate in Advanced Research Methods and Skills (University of Birmingham)
- Post Graduate Certificate Research Methods (University of Birmingham)
- BA Honours Degree in Education Studies (University of Worcester)
- Higher National Diploma in Antenatal Education (University of Bedford)
- Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector (University of Worcester)
Sophie’s research interests include sexual behaviours in children and young people, fist point assessment for sexual behaviours in children and young people, sexual health, teenage parents, LGBTQ+ and gender issues. Sophie has an interest in both policy, evaluation and the impact of context.
Willingness to take PhD students
Sexual Health in children and young people
Sexual behaviours in children and young people
Evaluation of policy and programmes
Social, emotional and behavioural difficulties