Colleges, School and Institutes
Maddy Findon is a lecturer and researcher in education. She started her career in early years education during her teens, working for a variety of settings in Warwickshire and Bristol. She moved to Spain and qualified as a TESOL teacher, spending 6 years in the country. On her return to the UK, she obtained her first degree and qualified as an Early Years Professional while combining early years roles with teaching both English and Spanish to adults and children.
She moved into academia in 2011, teaching at the University of Warwick and going on to lead their MA Educational Leadership (Teach First) programme. She completed her PhD (on national approaches to early years education and creativity in young children) in 2015. She joined the University of Birmingham in September 2019, and currently works across the Educational Leadership masters programmes, including the Degree Apprenticeship, as well as supporting undergraduate and ITE programmes.
In recent years she has engaged in several research projects of varying scales focusing on learning experiences, inclusion and early years. She also co-convenes the Leadership in Early Years Education Research Interest Group for BELMAS.
She is currently External Examiner for the MA Educational Leadership at the University of Manchester.
Maddy is currently contributing to a departmental project "Co-investigating our Teaching" that was initiated by colleagues as a response to the rapid change in teaching modalities precipitated by the pandemic. She is also engaged in a project with her co-convenor for the Leadership in Early Years Education RIG (BELMAS) to explore what messaging early years leaders feel is the most appropriate way to convey the value of the work of the sector to the wider public.
- PhD in Education – University of Warwick 2015
- Associate Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Postgraduate Award in Teaching and Learning in Higher Education – University of Warwick 2015
- MA Educational Research Methods (with distinction) – University of Warwick 2011
- Early Years Professional Status – University of Worcester 2010
- BA Hons Early Childhood (Practitioner Options) (first class) – University of Worcester 2010.
- TESOL Certificate – City College Coventry 2002