Birmingham Energy Institute
Organisational unit: Institute
Birmingham Energy Institute (BEI) is developing and applying the technological innovation, original thinking and new ways of working required to create sustainable energy solutions and support the regional, national and global transition to a zero carbon energy system.
A research focussed institute, we are driving change in the way we deliver, consume and think about energy. Bringing together interdisciplinary research from across the University of Birmingham and working with government, industry and international partners our research is solving societal issues and addressing challenges relating to energy poverty, the circular economy, transport systems, cooling, hydrogen, energy storage and the decarbonisation of heat.
Our Nationally Recognised Centres of Excellence:
- Birmingham Centre for Energy Storage
- Birmingham Centre for Environmental Energy and Economics
- Birmingham Centre for Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Research
- Birmingham Centre for Nuclear Education and Research
- Birmingham Centre for Railway Research and Education
- Birmingham Centre for Strategic Elements and Critical Materials
The global community is consuming more energy than ever. As we run out of time to contain climate change the BEI is upscaling their innovative technology solutions for applications here in Birmingham and across the globe