- Associate Professor, English Literature
Accepting PhD Students
I am pleased to supervise MA, MPhil and PhD students on literary and cross-disciplinary subjects. Current and recent students have worked on:
• ‘The political appropriation of John Lydgate’s Fall of Princes: a manuscript study of British Library, MS Harley 1766’ (PhD)
• ‘Asceticism in late-medieval religious writing: Oxford, Bodleian Library, MS Douce 114’ (PhD)
• ‘A revelation of purgatory to ane holy woman (1422).’ (MPhil)
• ‘Magical rings in Middle English Romance: an interdisciplinary study’ (MPhil)
• ‘The medieval house and curtilage: domestic spaces in the English medieval romance’ (MPhil)
• ‘Literary representations of Cardinal Thomas Wolsey in the sixteenth century’ (MA)
• 'Early Modern Dream Visions' (PhD) (co-supervision with Gillian Wright)
• 'The foliate head in medieval English ecclesiastical buildings' (MLitt)
• 'Politics and Sainthood: Literary Representations of St Margaret of Scotland from the C11th to the C15th in England and Scotland' (PhD) (co-supervision with Emily Wingfield)
• 'Andrew of Wyntoun's Orygynale Chronicle (c.1420)' (PhD) (co-supervision with Emily Wingfield)
I welcome enquiries from prospective graduate students looking to work in the following areas: epigraphy, medieval English textual and vernacular cultures, art and culture of the medieval English parish church, late-medieval devotional and mystical writing, religious and secular iconographic traditions, romance genre and the culture of chivalry, Tudor writing (esp. religious) the impact of the Reformation on artistic production, antiquaries and antiquarians.
I also welcome students with projects on writing of or about the First World War (from 1914 to the present day).
Research activity per year