This repository contains data files for the analyses reported in Divjak, D., Milin, P., and Medimorec, S. (2020). Construal in language: A visual-world approach to the effects of linguistic alternations on event perception and conception. Cognitive Linguistics, 31(1).
The paper-package is split into R script files which are hosted on GitHub and the supporting datasets in csv format deployed here.
The study contains several analyses, as is typical for studies that report eye-movement data. Each part of the analysis is kept in a separate R script file and a corresponding data file.
Script and data files parallel the analytic steps in the order described here:
• path_power_transformed - power-transformed (Box-Cox) gaze path length
• pupil_power_transformed - power-transformed (Box-Cox) average pupil size
• order_of_access - order of access of the respective interest area
• first_dwell_power_transformed - power-transformed (Box-Cox) first run dwell time (i.e., gaze duration)
• total_dwell_power_transformed - power-transformed (Box-Cox) total dwell duration (i.e., total fixation duration)
• TrialScaled - scaled (z-transformed) order of the trial
• Category - category of constructions (natural for naturalistic viewing; PREPOSITION: typical and atypical; VOICE: active and passive; DATIVE: NP and PP)
• CanonicalFirst - whether the canonical construction (typical, active, NP) is presented before its atypical partner (atypical, passive, PP); this is a binary or dummy coded variable
• InterestArea - interest area labels (A, B, C)
• Combined independent variables
• InterestAreaAndCategory - interaction (combination) of the interest area and the category
Random Effect Variables:
• Item - experimental items (image/sentence)
• Participant - participant ID
• Combined random effect variables
• ParticipantAndInterestAreaPosition - interaction (combination) of participant and position of the interest area (e.g., U, D, L, R, NO)
For further inquires contact: email@example.com